#1 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:55 AM

This model was released this past fall. I am considering this unit, it has side imaging sonar and gps. price seems right , just wondering if any body has one or knows of someone that has one and what they think of it

#2 geoffr

geoffr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

I bought the DI GPS model and i'm very happy with it. I sort of wish I had went with the SI for trolling. Ive had it for couple of months no complaints yet. Screen is very clear, I really like the GPS for trolling.

#3 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hi geoffr, thanks for replying, I have purchased this unit with Si.... I am pleased with it the sonar, works well although I need to learn to tweak it for best results. The SI , well I'm not sure if it works well, i'v tried to set it all different ways, but not happy with the screen input , and the same with the down imaging, just very little structure and fish. the sonar seems to show lots and am learning as I go. the GPS is very nice, very comforting when you head up river with many different passages, you know you can follow your way back, more so when it starts to get dark. do you get good input from your DI. If your interested in sharing thoughs / info you can email me at dalutes@hotmail.com. thanks.....Dana, would be nice to talk to someone that has these units  

#4 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

Looks like a nice unit, I bought the 598CI HD SI last year and I love it. Side imaging to 250 aether side of the boat and HD down imaging. I don't think you can go wrong with Humminbird, I think you will enjoy it.

Jim VE9WH

#5 geoffr

geoffr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

I've had very little sucess with the DI ive played with the sensitivity a little. I can only mark fish when it is turned to the highest settings. The sonar itself works really well, marking fish at a certain depth. And shortly after fish on trolling. I decided not to go for the SI thinking it would be to complicated. I'm really happy with the image on a smaller screen.

#6 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

I just got the Helix 5 SI unit for my kayak a couple weeks ago.  Had it out a few times now and from what I can tell it works great though I still have a lot to learn about configuring and reading it.   A few YouTube videos I found did help out quite a bit.

I was out in Evandale 2 weekends ago trying to see if I could hook into a big Atlantic Surgeon in kayak for the first time.   I wanted to go for a ride!   Unfortunately there were nothing but eels, but interestingly for a few of the eels I was able to watch them through the Helix as they swam down from about 5 feet up to my bait on the bottom, just before I felt the bite.

Can't wait to get this unit out when I shortnose sturgeon fish in the fall... as if I don't already catch enough (60 this year so far!).

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users