Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

2014 Striped Bass Limited Recreational Fishery

http://www.glf.dfo-m...14-Striped-Bass

2014 striped bass limited recreational fishery in the Southern Gulf of St. Lawrence

Moncton, NB – April 4, 2014 - Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) today approved the 2014 Conservation and Harvesting Plan for Striped Bass in the waters adjacent to the Maritime Provinces in the Southern Gulf of St. Lawrence.

New for 2014, the Department will authorize additional days in the retention fishery. From May 1 to 21, from August 1 to 21, and from September 24 to 30, 2014, anglers will be able to retain a maximum of one striped bass per day and will be prohibited from possessing more than one striped bass at any given time. Outside of these ‘retention’ periods, all striped bass caught must be released immediately in a matter that causes the least harm to the fish.

Also new for this year, the size window for the retention fishery has been increased and established at a minimal length of 50 cm and at a maximum length of 65 cm. The length is measured in a straight line from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail (total length).

In 2014, the use of a non-offset barbless circle hook is now mandatory when bait is used while fishing for striped bass in tidal waters. This will help to reduce the mortality of fish that have been released.

Same as in 2013, the recreational fishing season will begin two hours before sunrise and end two hours after sunset of each day, from May 1 to September 30, 2014.

DFO will continue to compile data collected during the recreational striped bass fishery and asks for the angler’s participation in this data collection. Catch report forms are available on the Recreational Fisheries website. All catch report forms regarding the striped bass limited recreational fishery should be completed and returned to Fisheries and Oceans by October 31, 2014.

For a copy of the 2014 Conservation and Harvesting Plan for Striped Bass, please refer to the Recreational Fisheries Website.

Anyone wishing to report suspicious fishing activity anonymously is asked to contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

For more information on this fishery, please contact:

Pierre Bélanger
Senior Advisor, Recreational Fisheries
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Moncton, NB
(506) 851-2002

#2 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

more

http://www.glf.dfo-m...HP-Striped-Bass

http://www.glf.dfo-m...es/Creel-Census

#3 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

i dont see any mention of barbless single hooks only,is that still effective?

#4 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

i guess its effective with or without bait in the mirimichi all the time. with bait it also has to be a circle hook.

#5 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Oh, that's good to know. I will delete my incorrect answer so I don't lead anyone down a wrong path, 

#6 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Here's my two cents: DFO says there's no proof that the striped bass breed in our waters, therefore they cannot justify a viable fishery (not in those exact words, but you get my point). Here's the thing: at my cottage in Rexton, my daughter likes to catch mumychubs with her net, and last summer by August she was catching almost exclusively baby striped bass (hundreds at a time!), and releasing them, of course, as she does with all the chubs. In the exact same place, and also in August, by midnight you hear lots of splashing in the bay behind my cottage, and if you shine a light out there, you see hundreds of stripers causing all the commotion. My question is, how the heck does DFO get its data?

#7 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Stroover Did you call DFO or take pictures and show them?

Jim VE9WH

#8 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

I believe it is only the saint john river where they dont tthink theres a breeding population. there is definetly a breeding population in mirimichi ,not sure about rest of the northumberland strait waters

#9 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

http://www.dfo-mpo.g...PDF/99_006e.pdf

Very interesting reading.

#10 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

I believe it is only the saint john river where they dont tthink theres a breeding population. there is definetly a breeding population in mirimichi ,not sure about rest of the northumberland strait waters

This is my understanding although I think they only recognize the MNW as a spawning river. They identified the sustaining spawning population requirement as something like 20K+ but the population is 10x higher now.

#11 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Stroover Did you call DFO or take pictures and show them?

No, I didn't Jim, but I will this year for sure!

#12 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

No, I didn't Jim, but I will this year for sure!

YoY stripers may not be enough evidence as they (YoY) have been know to migrate south to the Kouchibouguac and Richibucto rivers. Spawning evidence in May/June (who knows this year) would be needed to get attention.

#13 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

But the more evidence we give them, the easier it is to prove they are spawning here

Jim VE9WH

#14 bakeapples

bakeapples

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

But the more evidence we give them, the easier it is to prove they are spawning here

In terms of the southern gulf of St. Lawrence population they are spawning here (MNW) and it's a matter of where.

The BoF population is a different matter.

#15 Jim VE9WH

Jim VE9WH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationSaint John, NB

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Down here in Saint John, it would be the BOF stripers.

Jim VE9WH

#16 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

What's YoY? (year old something?) These were one to two inches long (smaller than the chubs that were in the net too). I'm no expert, but in my opinion that would be an awefully dangerous trek for stripers that small from Kouchibouguac to McAlmon Island in Rexton. Are you sure they start migratiing when that small?

#17 casey hayward

casey hayward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationHopewell Cape

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

yoy- young of year

#18 green hat

green hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

Yoy =   young of the year , and i believe they are spawning in more rivers  than just the norwest , while fishing the lower portion of the shediac river trolling a 7 fly mackerel set - up i repeatedly filled the string with 6 inch bass 7 at a time several times the numbers seemed pretty abundant last year. 

#19 megz34

megz34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

There have been 6" striped bass caught at the head of the tide in several of the Nova Scotian rivers dumping into the Northumberland Straight. I think it's pretty clear the stripers are spawning somewhere along that coast.

"In 2014, the use of a non-offset barbless circle hook is now mandatory when bait is used while fishing for striped bass in tidal waters. This will help to reduce the mortality of fish that have been released."

Does that include the Bay of Fundy?

#20 Stroover

Stroover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

"In 2014, the use of a non-offset barbless circle hook is now mandatory when bait is used while fishing for striped bass in tidal waters. This will help to reduce the mortality of fish that have been released."

Does that include the Bay of Fundy?

Don't know,  but it would seem like the right thing to do anyway, even if it doesn't include BoF..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users