#1 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

My cousin and I were thinking of applying for the unclaimed waters in the Restigouche area either mid or the end of June. We are looking at the stretches with a camp and wadable/canoe+motor. Any thoughts/past experiences? Can we use an aluminum boat instead of a canoe?

#2 zamboni-guy

zamboni-guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'm on the southeast June 24, every date before then is open. If the 22nd is open after the call in time I will be trying for that date as well, but be more then glad to see you there ! I have never fished there but I was told no boat is needed. It's a 2 man streach not a 4 man .. let me know how ya make out

#3 Chadman

Chadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern New Brunswick

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

fished three sisters stretch.. you need a boat and motor.. same with devils half acre.. both camps are next to each other.. one fishes up river, the other down river... both camps are about 10 km down river from where you put your boat in.. i'd suggest atleast a 12 to 20 horse motor.. the water flows fast there and it's deep in spots.. at three sisters there are no paths that I know of that take you down the river to fish.. you have to use boat.. you can fish from shore in some spots but the river is wide and to get to the sweet spot you'd be best to fish from the boat.

#4 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

For sure Zamboni-guy. We're not sure which date/which stretch yet and if we're applying for 4 or 2. Chances are we'll only go us 2. It is surprising how many dates are available both on the Miramichi and the Restigouche area. I'm assuming people don't want to drive up north and they don't like the C&R on the Miramichi.

#5 Jamie

Jamie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWoodstock

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

The Jardine stretch on the little main is a really great spot to go. If you can get there in early-mid july you will not be disappointed. I have been there a few times and always caught some nice fish. The nine mile pool is the one to spend some time on. There is a nice new little camp there to use but you will need a canoe because it is all up stream from the camp but on the other hand it is public water downstream from the camp. If the water is low you may have to pole up in some places but for the most part it is good going.

#6 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

Is late June too early to be fishing the Upsalquitch?

#7 Jamie

Jamie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWoodstock

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

I have been on the NW upsalquitch on the last few days of june 2 yrs ago and there was fish there but not that many. If I remember right there was around 100 through the 10 mile barrier when we got there although those barrier guys don't like to give out much info......not sure what the deal is there, must be top secret classified gov't information........ :ph34r:

#8 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Ok. Jamie, did you hook any fish? I'm thinking of applying for June 22nd but I'm rethinking it now.

#9 Jamie

Jamie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWoodstock

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

We were there on the 3 day trip and only caught 3 grilse but we had a hell of a good time. Beautiful country up through there. We got drawn there for the 8,9 and 10th of july this year so hoping we'll be into some good fishing. I think that the 22nd would be too early for the nw stretch but everything is early this year too. Maybe someone else has been there more then me in june can chime in and give you a little info.

#10 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

I appreciate the info Jamie. It says on the stretch guide that the fish are there around July 1st. I know they go by average time but you never know, we could get lucky.

#11 Bull's Eye

Bull's Eye

• Moderators
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

The lower middle and upper 9 mile pools tend to hold some taker fish after the first big batch runs staight thru to 10 mile pool. This year I would guess that late June could be very good in line with the early spring we've had. If u like sight fishinghi and dry for fresh fish, lower and middle 9 will not disappoint you. Upper is more of a bend run fished down and accross. Middle pool is by far the top producer imho. Bring lotsa fly dope, nosee'em allergics need not apply!;-)

#12 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Bull's Eye. I appreciate the info because we'll be venturing into a new area (if we're lucky!!). Any fly suggestions? I've heard Stone flies are excellent for hooking big salmon up north so I tied a few. I've also tied Black Bears, Rusty Rats, Belly Dancers, Molasses Hill, Samething Murrays, Purple Grapes (Maribou) and a few other patterns.

#13 flyfishing90

flyfishing90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Green machine and big brown or green bug!

#14 Captain Hook

Captain Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm not heading up North for the CR :(. I was not aware that you had to apply the same party and the same number for mini-draws. I had to wait until 1:30 to call if the stretch had been picked, and I was pleasantly disappointed. Well, at least now I know. I hooked a grilse Saturday morning on the MSW, it was the only fish we saw all weekend. It made up for the bad news. Heheheh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users