• Please log in to reply
659 replies to this topic

#641 striperwantab

striperwantab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

Shadow snap Probably should leave Mackeral home it could get expensive if caught above the big bridge. No bait fishing on NW as I read regs. It is awesome when you get into the stripers at right time on this river.

#642 shadows_snap

shadows_snap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Striperwantab, I read all rules and regulations and also spoke with the senior dfo officer over the phone Friday morning about bait fishing. He informed me, as stated in the regs you are allowed to fish where I was fishing (cassilis), with non offset barb less circle hooks. Same regulations as PEI.

#643 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

shadows_snap very glad you got into some stripers after driving all the way from PEI. Fishing after dark is always the best for stripers as they are big nocturnal feeders. Not a problem answerin your questions at all. If you come back in the fall the month of October is best. This fall or next spring feel free to message me if you have any questions.

#644 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

shadow_snap your right about being allowed to use bait to fish for stripers as long as long as you use a non offset barbless circle hook like you stated. This is legal down river from the red bank bridge.

#645 striperwantab

striperwantab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Shadow snap.  I must apologize I was told by a DFO officer last year not to use bait above the big bridge He even called me back to tell me.  I believe the misunderstanding is the striper cup rules. Barbless circle hooks all the way, good luck next year, Sorry

#646 Ranklore

Ranklore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRichibucto area

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

Had a quick question for the fellas that fish the Casillis area. I`m coming from the Richibucto area, just moved from Ontario last September, and would like to get up and try for stripers on the Chi river. I know there are stripers down here but the wind has been crazy and it`s been hard to get out to fish on a boat.

I have been reading about the fun and success guys have been having down in in the Casillis area and was looking for some insight into the Red Bank launch, where is it, is there parking after you launch and is there a fee?

How is the wind and chop on the river around the Casillis area? I have a 17 ft boat and would like to cast but open to trolling as well.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated and if someone is looking to partner up sometime, that would be good too.

#647 shadows_snap

shadows_snap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Striperwantob No problem! It's all sorted out now. Let's just hope the rules don't change next year and throw me right off. Good luck and Happy Fishing

#648 NWbassman

NWbassman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationRed Bank

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Ranklore the red bank launch is on the shore road in red bank. When your coming across the red bank bridge you can see it on your right about 600 yards above the bridge. No there is no fee. From the red bank wharf is only a matter of a few mins. Your 17 foot boat should be fine. I use a 1448 Jon boat and I have fished pretty well every day this season without a problem. The only time it gets really bad is if we have an east wing blowing up the river and the tide is going out. Can make for a rough day on the water. Not a whole lot of stripers left in the Cassillis area as the spawn is all over and they have gone back out to salt water. There are still a few around which are mostly comprised of juvenile fish as they will stay in the river for a few years.
Striper fishing will pick back up again in Mid September and be really good by the beginning of October

#649 Ranklore

Ranklore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Thanks NWbassman, appreciate the heads up and the info.

So I guess I`ll need to come up with plan B now lol

Was thinking of heading up to Fredericton area and try for some small mouth bass and possibly some muskie.

#650 Mikkmann

Mikkmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationRiverview NB

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

It's been a while since I have been on the forum and it's also been 2 years now since I have had much of a chance to fish for striped bass or anything else for that matter. I used to travel to Saint John looking for them, but wouldn't mind taking a trip up Mirimichi way for a day. Since the fish have now moved out of the spawning area, I'm wondering if NWbassman has any experience locating them outside of the spawning areas? What about near Centennial Bridge or places near the mouth of the river such as middle Island? Is there any chance some of them may still be around?

#651 Ranklore

Ranklore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

Mikkman you beat me to that question lol  I was just about to ask the forum the same thing, anyone know of any other options along the Miramichi now that the spawn is over?

#652 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

If you guys are chasing stripers, I've had the best luck shore fishing down burnt church neguac area. Might be spots on the other side of the bay, but I find there are more wharves for access on the north shore of the bay. Lots of locals using bait, but I've had great success using lures.

Usually if I'm making the trip I'll hit the breakwaters at burnt church, neguac and lower neguac until I get on to them. The breakwater in neguac is a bit treacherous but has the advantage that there is usually one spot out of the wind. Lower neguac is my preferred, but not great when the tide is low, the wharf is closed but the breakwater isn't bad for trekking across. The bridge going out to iles aux foins (Hay Island) is sometimes worth the stop, it can be weedy, and it's a small little passage so if the fish are there you'll know quick.

Lure-wise: swimbaits work, i often throw jerkbaits and some topwater. Trebles are kosher downriver of the centennial bridge, but i catch and release mostly so my hard baits are equipped with VMC inline coastal hooks. The water is salt and will eat gear up.

If someone had a boat I'd guess there would be some good fishing to be had out of the islands in the Bay.

#653 Ranklore

Ranklore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for all the good info ChiGuy, will definitely be giving it a try. Locals using baits, would that be mackeral? I have to say, I`m a casting guy as well, always exciting feeling that hit as you are reeling in.

It`s the one tough thing about being newer to New Brunswick, hate asking for people`s preferred areas, everyone has their own little honey holes and I get people wanting to keep them secret. If anyone is alright with sharing but would prefer to pm, that is cool as well.

Again, thanks so far to NWbassman and ChiGuy for the info and help.

#654 Mikkmann

Mikkmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationRiverview NB

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:00 PM

Yes; thank you ChiGuy for the help; a person can spend a lot of time and money traveling to areas searching for places to fish, and the info you provided will definitely help. I used to fish for them in Saint John and am very familiar with salt water fishing. I do not use bait; I have always preferred leadhead jigs (which I make myself) with curly tail trailers, and rubber swim baits. Maybe I'll run into you sometime on a trip up there; like Ranklore said, I'll definitely give it a try.

#655 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

Not a problem, always looking to build on the fishing karma bank. Mackerel is indeed the bait of choice, but I think it's availability as much as anything. I've seen people using shad and smelt as well

I usually keep some mackerel lures and a sabiki rig handy if I'm down there. Sometimes a school of macks will start circling around the wharf and I'll aim for them. If I catch enough ill have a feed, if not... fresh bait.

Trebles are kosher down there for lures but bait hook rules are the same: single circle barbless.

Had a bunch of schoolies bouncing all over a spook last weekend i was out. Not much for size but a blast to watch them go.

Best of luck

#656 shadman

shadman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationIsland View (formerly from Sillikers)

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

Check out Cabelas Canada Day Flyer - Savage Gear Sand Eels 20% off. Get a buddy and order $99 and qualify for free shipping. I can not drive to Moncton in my truck and good chance they would not have them in the store for much less. Tight Lines - See you in the fall for stripers or next week for salmon fishing on the river.

Tight Lines

#657 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi NWbassman regarding the Savage Gear sandeels that is your 95% of the time go to lure for stripers, they come in 5", 6", 7", 7.5", and 8".  I apologize if you already post an answer to this already, which size and color would be consider a good "all around" to use for spring and fall striper fishing?  Do they want bigger ones in the fall to fatten up for the winter? 

#658 Mikkmann

Mikkmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationRiverview NB

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

ChiGuy, was it the Neguac or Lower Neguac wharf that you found the schoolies at last week? Also, was there any size to the mackerel? They are really good fresh out of the water, and fantastic when smoked.

#659 Diaperman

Diaperman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Quispamgolfer I use mostly the 5" but if I can't find it I'll use a 6". Went today up the chi and only had two. We were on the water late and left early but still better than work. I use other baits early in the season but for the last week until the end of October I'll use the sandeel. I think NWbassman has shares in the company. Lol. But he's right just don't tell him I said he was.

#660 ChiGuy

ChiGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Mikkman, the schoolies were around the iles aux foins bridge, a spot that is highly hit or miss. Haven't seen any mackerel yet this year, it was a school of smaller bass I had come across.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users