28 replies to this topic

#21 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks jkeithnb.     Full disclosure, I am a pro-staffer for Old Town and Ocean Kayaks so I am somewhat biased towards those brands!    I would be happy to demo any of the following kayaks to any one in my area should they be interested.    

- Old Town Predator 13
- Old Town Predator MX
- Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler II
- Ocean Kayak Trident 13
- Ocean Kayak Tetra 10 (ideal for kids or smaller build adults looking for a light but capable fishing kayak)

There are several other quality brands out there as well.   But whatever you choose, do so after taking a demo ride or ensuring the store will let you return your kayak if you find after riding it, it isn't what you expected.

Ok, Homebrew, seeing how you're a pro-staffer. I'll apologize ahead of time for bombarding you with questions...

I just recently picked up my first fishing kayak, and OK Prowler 13T. What would be the best rod holder to mount to it in front of the cockpit. It has the Rod Pod hatch, so only a cupholder, nothing molded in for anything else. Should I look at the Yak Attack rails and sidemount a rod holder?

One other question, in the future (maybe next season) I might look into upgrading my seat. Are there better seats available for that model, preferably raised or adjustable seats.

Any advice/suggestions would be awesome! Thanks.

Noodles

#22 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

No worries about the questions, am glad to help as best I can.   The OK Prowler 13T is a great starter model to get into kayak fishing, but a tough model to put a lot of accessories on to make it a 'battleship' for fishing.    Without the upgraded cover to the mod-pod you are pretty limited on rod holders for the front section.      You do have the two flush mount rod holders built in behind you for 2 rods, and the tank well which you can put a Milk Crate.  Onto the milk crate you can easily and cheaply use PVC pipe to fashion another three holders for rods, a net,...etc.   Then your tackle can go inside the center hatch in front of you.

I am not sure I would drill into the existing cover hatch, it really wasn't built for that.    I would be worried about it not holding up over time. There are upgrade covers online but they are expensive at $80 US, but they would give you all sorts of options then for rod holders.

I'd have to take a look but for a front rod holder I would consider putting fixing a Scotty Rod holder next to the front Sonar Shield cover on the Bow.    that would be a very strong and sturdy mount.    Then connect to it a scotty extender (or two) which you could then put a rod holder on positioned basically anywhere you like in front of you.      I would be wary of connecting holders to the side of the kayak, not sure how the holders would fit there or if they would be in the way of your paddling stroke.

If you did invest in the upgrade to the mod pod cover, that would free you from the cost of the scotty base mount and extender(s), which would likely cover the cost of the cover itself.  If you had that cover, you could get the Scotty riser and the triple rod holder and have a sturdy three rod holder system right in front of you.

As for seats, have a look at the seats at Surf to Summit:   https://www.surftosummit.com

I have been considering getting one of the GTS seats from there for my Trident, they look fantastic and I know at least one Ocean Kayak prostaffer who uses and loves their seats.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#23 BobD

BobD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

Noodles... I have a trident 13 angler from 6 years ago. It was from before ocean kayak upgraded their rod pod covers, so mine has the old style cover. It has served me well, though it is an upgrade I would happily make. I put a scotty base mount on the old cover. Drilled a hole through the cover then bolted it on and sealed it with a marine sealant then put a scotty rod holder on it. It has worked really well for me all these years, though the pod cover is finally starting to break down. The rubber seal around it is starting to come off. But I have used that rod holder constantly, and do a lot of trolling with rods in it. Not sure how it would hold up to muskie or large stripers, but smallies, pickerel and small stripers were no problem. For a seat improvement I included a little foam kneeling/sitting pad from the dollar store, plus a cheap gel seat from canadian tire. It helps, but a better seat would be a great idea.

#24 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Wow, thanks guys. 

I have already DIY'd a trolley just for dragging the boat around my yard to the car, and 2 rod holder extensions for the flush mount rod holders. Going to test them this week. I think I might follow Homebrews advice and order a RodPod cover, over the offseason (a Xmas present to myself, maybe), but I will take your advice Bob for now on the seat cushion. I need to pick up a pool noodle from the dollar store anyways, so a kneeling/sitting pad will go in the bag as well. Thanks for the information gentlemen!!!!

#25 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:56 PM

I'm planning on taking it out on the water tonight after work, get a better feel for what it is, and then I can figure out what I need. I used it this time last week (canada day) and did fairly well with the just the flush mount holders behind the seat for trolling, but had a couple occasions where I forgot to look over my shoulder and the sound of a fish splashing as it spit my hook was my only indicator I had a fish at all. That was only a couple times out of a bunch of fish, so as long as I remember to check it every few strokes, I should be ok for the time being. LOL.

#26 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

So I have been out a few more times. While on vacation I picked up an 8" Yakattack rail and the screwball zooka tube combo. I don't use it for trolling though, as it's placement is a little in the way of my paddle, but i have plans to use it for holding a rod when sturgeon fishing, and taking advantage of the rail for a GoPro when I get one. 

More importantly, I have caught a fair amount of fish from the yak, and that makes me feel good. Though, it is still a little iffy putting an angry pickerel between my legs, so I still use the net for them. LOL. Also have landed smb, perch, catfish, and a couple sunfish. Really enjoying it and I am very glad I made the investment.

#27 BobD

BobD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

Glad you are enjoying it!  Now that you have used it some you can get a better feel for where you would be comfortable putting a rod holder, etc.  As for having an angry pickerel between your legs, I try and avoid it too, but to be honest I find a flopping bass is worse, as they have sharp spines on their back.  I've never had a pickerel bite my leg yet.  YET.  What I really live in fear of is having a fish... any fish... flopping around on my kayak when they still have a rapela with a bunch of treble hooks attached to it.

It's almost time now to head to sturgeon alley...

#28 monster

monster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

What would be the best sit in kayak for fishing??

#29 SG_Noodles

SG_Noodles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

Bob and Homebrew... I ordered the ModPod cover for the kayak, like I said I would, and will be installing it this weekend (it's been sitting in my basement for 2 months). I'm really getting itchy to be back on the water.

What would be the best sit in kayak for fishing??

This I am sure some of these guys can help you with, from my very limited experience kayak fishing, but some more experience in kayaking (just recreationally), I would suggest a Sit On Top kayak for fishing, but really, what are you looking to spend and how big a yak do you require (are you a big guy etc...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users