28 replies to this topic

#1 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

Just got my new Ride 115x. Setting it up this weekend - anchor trolley, box, rod holders, fish finder. Any suggestions on a great paddle up to $ 200.00

#2 ouird

ouird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:43 PM

In that Price range:

Aquabound Manta ray Carbon paddle.  Very good lightweight paddle.  Better than any fiberglass, aluminium one you'd find.  Durable as hell.

Ocean Kayak ProStaff
Aqua-Bound ProStaff
Scotty ProStaff
Pelican Case Ambassador

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 Angler

Blog:
http://ouird.wordpress.com/
Facebook page
https://www.facebook...sonKayakFishing
Twitter
@JohnGibson76

#3 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:11 AM

jkeithnb, welcome to the sport. I'd be curious to know what went into your selection of a Ride 115x as I've been looking at one of those myself to go along with my more-recreational-oriented Pungo 120. Mind sharing your selection criteria?

#4 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

all the reviews were great - ton's of features for the money and Kevin at the Scout Shop in saint John gave me such a great deal I could not resist on a 2015 Model. Priovate me if you want me to share that part.

#5 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

I would highly recommend the Aquabound as well.

#6 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

for aggressive paddlers with high-angle strokes. 

I don't think I am aggressive high angle is that a big deal?

#7 ouird

ouird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

Get a longer paddle, 230-240cm. they make the paddle i suggested in that length.  

the shorter the paddle you have the more vertical your paddle needs to be. the longer, the more or horizontal it can be.  given your boat choice, id suggest looking at the 240cm.

Ocean Kayak ProStaff
Aqua-Bound ProStaff
Scotty ProStaff
Pelican Case Ambassador

Kayaks:
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 Angler

Blog:
http://ouird.wordpress.com/
Facebook page
https://www.facebook...sonKayakFishing
Twitter
@JohnGibson76

#8 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Thanks a bunch!

#9 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

Thanks jkeith, I often drop by the scout shop for a chat with said gentleman and his co-workers. It's where I bought my Pamlico and Pungo.

#10 seadogsfan0

seadogsfan0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSaint John N.B.

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

My fiancée and I also bought 2 angling kayaks at the scout shop,she chose the tarpon 12foot and I went with the ride 115, we can't wait to get them out this weekend

#11 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

if you got the other leftover I think you got a rideX

#12 seadogsfan0

seadogsfan0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSaint John N.B.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

We bought them at the beginning of March . It's a ride 115

#13 Eco Diesel

Eco Diesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

Not to hijack the thread but I'm also new to kayaking and I was wondering which sit in Kayak I should look into.  

The new OT Loon 126 or the Jackson Kilroy?

#14 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

not familair with those but sure someone will help. 90% of people go with sit on not sit in for fishing. How come sit in?

#15 Eco Diesel

Eco Diesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

I have an Ocean Kayak at the moment and I'm simply tired of being soaked all of the time.  It's fun in the summer but in the spring and fall I need to wear waders to keep the chill off.  I'm usually fishing in big water.

I'm led to believe that these two kayaks are great fishing kayaks that are very dry and stable. 

#16 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

The OK Tridents are designed with a low center of gravity and great for certain uses, but like every kayak does have its drawbacks.    Being so low, having water come onto the seat is a definite drawback if you are fishing in colder conditions.   Some people have took measures like stuffing one of those soft golf balls into the scupper holes under the seat to block water from coming up.    That may rectify the problem at least partially.

If you are looking at another kayak which won't have this issue look at one of the sit on tops with the adjustable chairs.   The Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler II is deigned for big water and ocean fishing and will take the ocean swells equally as well as the Trident.    Even with the adjustable seat in the lower position it is still raised off the deck and you will not get your butt wet at all.     The BGII has a similar center console that you are used to in the trident, plus 6 mounting plates along the side for additional accessory options.     The other advantage is that while it weighs just 70 lbs (light relative to other big sit on top battleship), it can carry 650 lbs of cargo!

If you are around Quispamsis and would like to take a look at the BGII, feel free to let me know.  I have one here that you can look at or take down to Meenan's Cove for a paddle and see what you think.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#17 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

wow nice offer homebrew

#18 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

wow nice offer homebrew

Thanks jkeithnb.     Full disclosure, I am a pro-staffer for Old Town and Ocean Kayaks so I am somewhat biased towards those brands!    I would be happy to demo any of the following kayaks to any one in my area should they be interested.    

- Old Town Predator 13
- Old Town Predator MX
- Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler II
- Ocean Kayak Trident 13
- Ocean Kayak Tetra 10 (ideal for kids or smaller build adults looking for a light but capable fishing kayak)

There are several other quality brands out there as well.   But whatever you choose, do so after taking a demo ride or ensuring the store will let you return your kayak if you find after riding it, it isn't what you expected.

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#19 jkeithnb

jkeithnb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

I was in a predator 13 that's one heck of a ride

#20 Eco Diesel

Eco Diesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

I'm going with the OT Loon 126 Angler edition.  The OK BGP2 was a close second but fishing in rough water while being cold out has sold me on a sit in kayak and you can't go wrong with an Old Town.  Thank you Eco-Logical Adventures for being such a great business to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users