#41 Homebrew76

Homebrew76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

I believe those came off prior to last Thursday when we had that crazy mild spell incl fog that Thursday. Was a smart call to get them off then.

Ice should be plenty safe this weekend sgain... at least i suspect

Cheers,
joe

NB Kayak Fishing Blog
NB Kayak Fishing on Facebook

Greater Saint John Kayak Anglers  <-- Join us if you canoe or kayak fish around Greater Saint John!!

Want to catch a sturgeon?   Contact me for information on Guided Recreational Kayak Fishing in the Greater Saint John area, specializing in sturgeon fishing!

#42 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

The only foreseeable issue would be all that snow potentially insulating the ice from the cold air, which might impede on the formation of more ice.

#43 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Locationformerly Kingston Penninsula,now Sussex(miss the Creek)

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:47 AM

Keep an eye to you're shacks this week folks,rain, freezing rain and snow mix for Tues. with what could be significant rain all through Tues. night .Could be a mess!

#44 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

Heading down to Cameron today to check out ice conditions,not really optimistic! What a crappy year!

#45 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

Ice gained four inches and lost about three at Dominion if that helps anybody. Measured at 16 inches yesterday evening.

#46 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:02 AM

Cameron was pretty sketchy looking yesterday,5 shacks sitting up on beach,lumber sticking out of the ice where shacks used to be ,don't know if they blew down during the storm or were frozen in. Hope this is not a sign of the garbage yet to come!

#47 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

Was actually going to put shack out yesterday but realized I was almost out of bunny meat,so went hunting instead! Glad I did,with bunny season almost over and weather conditions showing more rain and wet snow for the next week or so ,I think I'll play it safe ! It's looking more and more like open ice fishing this year for me! We'll wait and see!

#48 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Ice at Dominion now 13 and 14 inches.

gmac, a feller I was fishing with suggests the bunny tongue does a really good job - holds onto the hook. 

I still find that at least for Dominion prawn is the go-to bait. I'll mix it with others but always try to have at least some on the line somewhere. I've had good luck mixing it (and storing it) with very lean beef, so I'd imagine stringy rabbit would make a dynamite combo with it too.

#49 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

I was thinking more on the lines of fried bunny with home fries and a cold beer!

#50 TheRealCraigAC

TheRealCraigAC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:33 PM

I was thinking more on the lines of fried bunny with home fries and a cold beer!

That sounds delicious
If f = the optimal number of rods to own
and x = your current number of rods
then f = x + 1

#51 Grasshopper 04

Grasshopper 04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

Question for Joe Branscombe...
I am camping with my son from Alberta for 3 weeks at Chipman Waterfront Campground. Just wondering what fish are around in the river there. Bringing my 16 foot flat back Canoe with MinKota electric and Lowrance FF.

#52 Riverboy

Riverboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSalmon River

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:23 PM

Hi gh04,

I live nearby and i can tell you there is good fishing for multiple species right in front of the campground.

Pickerel beds on both sides of the river nearby. Excellent yellow perch and catfish. Good white perch 

when they are running (now). That pretty much covers it but you could hook just about anything in this river.

You should have no problem catching lots of fish. Good luck and enjoy your trip. (Joe will probably second this opinion).

#53 J. Branscombe

J. Branscombe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

yup what Riverboy said good fishing along that  area

#54 Grasshopper 04

Grasshopper 04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Riverboy & Joe
I am from Ontario retired here 4 years ago have always trolled for pickerel with a worm harness and bottom bouncer. I am sure white and yellow perch will bite worms on the bottom. Thanks so much for your input

#55 Brent

Brent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Locationrusagonis

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

Grasshopper 04:  Just to be clear, what was called 'pickerel' in Ontario was walleye, right?  Kind of an elongated and oversized yellow perch.  Our 'pickerel' are Chain Pickerel, smaller members of the Esox or pike family.  And not near as tasty or easy to fillet as walleye.

brent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users