#1 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Just starting to get cold now, certainly not enough for safe conditions in the south part of the province. Might need a cold snap - or two - before even contemplating putting the shacks out down this way.

How is it elsewhere? 

#2 Atoqwa'su

Atoqwa'su

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:45 PM

An individual I know has been ice fishing for smelts in a bay in a river in Kent County for about a week now. Do you have ice on Fisher Lakes yet?

#3 HebertOutdoors

HebertOutdoors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGloucester County

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

People have started fishing on the ice in the area of Gloucester county. Theres no shacks on the ice tho!

#4 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:50 AM

Any reports on ice in grand/maquapit/indian/french lake area?

#5 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

Facebook report of several inches on Fisher Lakes now. With the current coldsnap they're likely safe for fishing.

#6 DownriggerBob

DownriggerBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Retroboy I would like to amend your Post a little by saying that No Ice is Safe Ice.

Remember you need at least 4 inches of Ice for the average person walking and this time of year it is use a

Spud Bar as you walk out.

Being 300 lbs I feel comfortable on a little more then 4 inches of Ice.......Quality of the Ice has a lot to do with

that too.........Blue Ice is the Best.

We all know there is stupid people out there and you can't fix stupid.

If you say the Ice is Safe for Ice Fishing now..... sure enough some Clown will drive a car out there.

Bob

#7 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:57 PM

Fair enough Bob. What I'd meant to say was that with several inches in place now AND a current coldsnap in progress they're likely *going to be* safe for fishing. 

And it'd have to be one hell of a trying-hard clown to drive a car out onto the Fisher Lakes given where they're situated. :-D

#8 DownriggerBob

DownriggerBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

My apology Retroboy I was talking in General about people driving on the Ice on any given Lake or River

I have seen people from another Country and I don't mean Overseas drive onto a Lake Jan the 15th and

go through the Ice with their vehicle and be in shock because they did it okay last year at that time.

Yeah a foot of Ice the first year and 4 inches the next year.......Every Winter Is different.

I always say you need at least 14 days minimum of Temps constantly below minus 10 or better to get a

good solid base of Blue Ice hopefully without a lot of snow cover at first Ice.

Places with Tide movements probably a little longer.

Bob

#9 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Any reports on ice in grand/maquapit/indian/french lake area?

Dido. I'm hoping to get out on Friday and it would be nice to know ice thickness beforehand as it's a 45min drive each way for me. If no word I'll likely still go investigate and report back here friday night

#10 sdavis

sdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

About 7" of good ice in grand lake area in the backwaters. I did not venture or test ice in the main lake. Pickerel fishing was slow, but still better then sitting on the couch!

First fish(es) of 2016 was a bonus. Good to get the gear out and makes lists of missing stuff, things that need mending, and of coursr mods to the ice shack :-) . Can't go through a season without fiddling with things!

#11 Joe Branscombe

Joe Branscombe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationCumberland Bay

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

my dad was down to our shore today and was about  8-9 inches of ice this is on upper end of grandlake

#12 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

You should get your license, Retro. TheRealCraigAC and I plan on doing various fishing outings in the area. We went out today for trout, got one each.

#13 Quispamgolfer

Quispamgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationQuispamsis

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

I want to try my first ice fishing. Can someone give me a list of things I need to buy like rod, reel, any special rigs etc. Portable shelter and some sort of auger I figure I would need also. I have 3 tubs of crawlers left over from sturgeon fishing not sure whether I can use them for ice fishing. Thanks in advance.

#14 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hey QPG, expect a touch-base from me soon. I'll kit you out for smelt so you can see what's what and what to buy. 'Crawlers are good for some deep-water fishing like hake but not for smelt in my experience. 

Was at Renforth yesterday during high tide, ice didn't look safe so I didn't go out.

Some poor guy still has a sailboat moored in the ice next to the dock (or, pretty soon, what's left of one anyway). Hope he can arrange for a crane after this warm spell so he can get it out of there before it's crushed completely.

#15 Stroover

Stroover

Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

I want to try my first ice fishing. Can someone give me a list of things I need to buy like rod, reel, any special rigs etc. Portable shelter and some sort of auger I figure I would need also. I have 3 tubs of crawlers left over from sturgeon fishing not sure whether I can use them for ice fishing. Thanks in advance.

Just come out with us next time we go and see if you will like it, and what you would typically need to buy. I'll have enough gear to carry your weight for your first outing. You don't need a license for tidal water ice fishing, but if you want to come out for pickerel and the likes on lakes, you would need one.

#16 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

Fished the keyhole at Grandlake today 7 inches in one half..4-5 inches of clear ice..in main part..picked up a bunch of pickerel...rain tmrw might but a damper on the fishing tho until we get cold temps again...if and when

#17 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

i also checked back water of maquapit around 8 on it..talked to some guys that were on french and their was 5 or 6 on it apparently

#18 I Fish

I Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

french no longer safe,open water in spots

#19 Retroboy

Retroboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

Dominion lost a couple shacks. Not sure if they were taken off or were blown completely away. Definitely shows the need to use decent ice anchors.  Down to three to four inches there, might thicken up again when the cold weather settles in after this storm.

#20 gmac

gmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Locationformerly Kingston Penninsula,now Sussex(miss the Creek)

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

NO Kidding! Wow,who would have guessed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users