#1 Wannafish

Wannafish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationWaterville, N.B.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

My Korean made Hardy Marquis let me down:( I lost a big salmon when my reel stopped cold and I assumed the handle had caught on my vest but I've since discovered that the rivet that holds the pawl post is loose and sometimes will cause the pawl to jam and stop the spool. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of problems with the newer Korean made Hardys? I will try to add a link here if you want to view the tragedy caught on my head cam lol.

If you're too busy to fish, you're TOO busy

#2 gastch

gastch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNackawic NB

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

I have a #2 and never had any trouble with it. I can't remember what they have for warranty, I'm assuming lifetime to original owner. I'd call them and send it away now if you have something else to use. If its usable send it away as soon as the season is over. Doaks maybe be able to fix it for you they have dealt with Hardy's for years so might be worth giving them a call.

#3 Wannafish

Wannafish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

I have a #2 and never had any trouble with it. I can't remember what they have for warranty, I'm assuming lifetime to original owner. I'd call them and send it away now if you have something else to use. If its usable send it away as soon as the season is over. Doaks maybe be able to fix it for you they have dealt with Hardy's for years so might be worth giving them a call.

Yeah I think I can get it fixed at Hardy USA free except for shipping. I also posted on speypages and "Poppy" says he has sold alot of them with no complaints so it's probably an isolated case. I actually have a few spare reels because I'm a Hardy reel nut lol.

#4 delete

delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Why would you buy a Korean made Hardy reel... it's not a Hardy in my opinion, more like a "Hardly-A-Hardy" Buy a good used vintage marquis for less money and you'll have no problems. I don't use any new Hardy gear because all my old reels will outlast me, so I'm surprised to hear they are getting anything made in Asia... they should be ashamed and they are tarnishing their good name. I've had nearly the whole set of Marquis' and the only issue I've seen is one had been dropped by a previous owner and the spool was cracked on the rim. The advantage of the exposed spool for palming is somewhat offset by it's vulnerability to damage.

#5 Chadman

Chadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern New Brunswick

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

nice fish and video! what cam are you using to record that?

#6 freddybeach

freddybeach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

Dad has 6 old hardy's and had to have many rivets replaced over the years. Contact Fredericton outfitters and ask Joe Munn for the guys name that can fix them. ( he has the contact for the Halifax gentleman) There use to be one other man in Woodstock but he has passed on. This is very common on older Hardy's be it a saint john or Marquis. Talking from experience. It looks easy to fix but requires a special skill. What ever you do don't try to tap the rivet or the frame may crack. Yes I know this from experience as well.

#7 Wannafish

Wannafish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

It's the Drift X170, which is the non Hd version. They have it available in HD now which would be much better. It's super wide angle which I like but I've got to experiment a little more to get the lighting right;if it's pointing to the bright sky it darkens down too much.It's also waterproof to 1.5 feet so good for fishing.

#8 Wannafish

Wannafish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

Dad has 6 old hardy's and had to have many rivets replaced over the years. Contact Fredericton outfitters and ask Joe Munn for the guys name that can fix them. ( he has the contact for the Halifax gentleman) There use to be one other man in Woodstock but he has passed on. This is very common on older Hardy's be it a saint john or Marquis. Talking from experience. It looks easy to fix but requires a special skill. What ever you do don't try to tap the rivet or the frame may crack. Yes I know this from experience as well.

Thanks I didn't figure I'd risk trying to fix it myself so I'll try that.

#9 FishHooked

FishHooked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDieppe

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Bigfish 1

There is nothing wrong with Korean made reels. I have a Cascapedia 10/11 mkII that was made in Korea and it performs flawlessly. All those who have compared the UK to Korean ones say the Korean are as good as or better than the British. All the best machining is now located in Korea. To disprove your point i also have a vintage St-John reel that failed on me with a fish on. Just goes to show that when humans are involved things can fail no matter where they are made. I will keep my asian Cascapedia however if i sell it would you be interested?

#10 LaHaves Salmon Flies

LaHaves Salmon Flies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMiddleton NS

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:39 AM

Eric Baylis is the Gents name in Halifax....actually it Eastern Passage....Eric's Reel Shop 902-463-8758.

The old feller knows reels and Hardy's are his specialty.

#11 delete

delete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Bigfish 1

There is nothing wrong with Korean made reels. I have a Cascapedia 10/11 mkII that was made in Korea and it performs flawlessly. All those who have compared the UK to Korean ones say the Korean are as good as or better than the British. All the best machining is now located in Korea. To disprove your point i also have a vintage St-John reel that failed on me with a fish on. Just goes to show that when humans are involved things can fail no matter where they are made. I will keep my asian Cascapedia however if i sell it would you be interested?

I don't follow the new Hardy gear at all, so I was kind of shocked that they are getting their reels made in Korea. I'm surprised anyone would still buy their equipment, but I guess some people just look at the name as they always have. Most people have probably switched to the more modern manufacturers as they produce better products. Hardy probably started tarnishing their name years ago with the Viscount series and a few other chinzy quality reels. I noticed on the Hardy website that the Cascapedia says, " Designed and Developed by Hardy" Very little collector's value in the future with that reel. Might as well have bought one of the Bogdan/Vom Hofe/Cascapedia asian "replicas" off ebay. It's just an affordable replica with a Hardy stamp, but for that price, if you want the look and the name to show off on the salmon pool, it does the trick. For the price you can get a good American or Canadian made reel like an Islander or Abel. But to each his own. $600+ dollars would buy a beauty of a vintage wide salmon perfect! That would be something to show off at the salmon pool and wouldn't lose value but gain over time as long as it wasn't abused. Your vintage St John that failed you probably suceeded for you or others many many times more in it's life time than your korean hardy ever will

At least they aren't making them in China, but I bet some or most of the parts are, just like major brands who assemble their gear in Korea, Japan or Sweden, but all the parts are chinese. Abu Garcia went through a phase where they made and labelled their reels from Taiwan and they sucked, so they assembled them in Sweden again with chinese/Korean parts and stamped made in Sweden on them... good but still not as good as the older all Swedish made.

#12 Wannafish

Wannafish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

I sent the reel to Hardy North America and just got a call back the other day to get my credit info. With shipping both ways and the part (rivet) and labour I'll have $46.00 into it. (I didn't mail in my warranty card when I bought the reel). The reel retails for $300.00 and I got it for $189.00 so I guess I can swallow the extra expense. GO HARDY!!B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users